Friday, June 29, 2007

Zucchini Hummus


Hummus is always a staple for me. I am so pleased with this raw version. I eat it with raw veggies and apples or on raw bread and in sandwiches or salads.

Tools: Food Processor with S blade, Vegetable Peeler
Serving Size: About 1 cup


1 large zucchini in summer or 2 small zucchini in winter (at least in PA)
1/2 cup Tahini
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Cumin
1 Large Garlic Clove
Sprinkle of Paprika

Peel the zucchini until all the green skin is removed. This is very important! Not peeling the zucchini will make it chunky and green, not like hummus at all. Slice peeled zucchini into smaller pieces. Combine all ingredients except Paprika into food processor and blend until creamy and thick. If not desired consistency add a little bit of water while blending. Serve in a bowl or store Zucchini Hummus in a plastic container (I re-use a plastic store bought large hummus container) and sprinkle with paprika. Great garnishes or hummus variations can include other fresh or dried herbs, sun dried tomatoes, red peppers, a drizzle of olive oil, olives, or pine nuts.


10 comments:

Joyce said...

i just stumbled on this by accident! i had prepared to make zucchini hummus tonight from another site that i had bookmarked, and i got everything ready and the site was down! so i googled and found yours :) It tastes fabulous!

Hillary said...

I am making this right now!!! thanks for the recipe :)

Ea Maples said...

Soooo delicious! Thank you. I wish you were still posting, I really liked hearing your simple somewhat frugal approach to raw foods.

angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
angela said...

How long does this keep in the refrigerator? I'm making some tonight, this looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. Your hummus has changed my life, and increased my popularity at work!

Del DePierro said...

So YUMMY! Even my SAD friends and relatives LOVE it. My kids love it too and they are my true taste testers, if they eat it it is really good.

louise said...

why is my hummus so liquidy???

Kath Urbahn said...

Sadly, I am allergic to zucchini, but I did this using yellow summer squash. Bonus: you don't have to peel it! :) Yayyyy for laziness!

I figured out how to get a creamy texture without extra water. If you have a cheap blender and a cheap food processor, this works. It makes a little more mess, but I'm a foodie, so I don't care. I don't have a Vitamix yet, so Necessity is the Mother of Invention, right? :) I do the food processor blending, without adding extra liquid. Then I dump it all in the blender and blend it well. It is AWESOME with baby carrots and banana chips dippers!!! xo

Kath Urbahn said...

This reminds me of the delish raw nut cheese spreads I make using cashews.... only this is alot more affordable! xoxo Y'all have to try this dish, it is AMAZING.